Thursday, July 29, 2021

Teaching the FiveStar Method in my Group Counseling Classes

 Toward the end of the semester (summer session currently), I always introduce the FiveStar Method to my group counseling students, and we practice in class. Then, they are encouraged to use dream sharing in their small groups during the latter part of each class. My students invariably say that learning dream analysis is deeply rewarding, and supplements their conventional education with a practice that deepens and accelerates the therapeutic process. 

Here's a sample of our in-class dreamwork. The dreamer, Diana, has agreed to let me share the brief session. I think this video shows the natural and safe context for deep exploration established by the FiveStar Method.

Dreamwork with Diana

While my grad students are practicing in my group counseling classes, UTRGV Internship students have been leading online groups with participants from around the world. The groups have become quite popular, and now we are getting ready to conduct a research study on the benefits of these dream charing groups. Stay tuned for that! And check out DreamStar Free Online Counseling if you're interested in taking part in an online group.


1 comment:

The Disappearing Client I often reflect on the strangeness of serving as a psychotherapist. It's hard to know the impact of my work, bec...